Quinoa….a funny sounding food but this salad is definitely no joke. Packed with protein, it is sure to be hit with everyone. The Persian cucumbers add a nice crunch to the salad and the quonia soaks up all the flavors from the lemon juice and other ingredients. Even those who have never had quinoa before, or maybe still don’t know what it is after eating it, will be asking for more of that salad with a funny name.
Simple and easy to make, after cooking the quinoa in a rice cooker and mixing in the remaining ingredients, you’re ready to go. A great compliment to any meal, I love pairing this my baked falafels.
- 1 cup of quinoa. You can use any type, for this recipe, I used a mixture of red and white.
- 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1 shallot
- ½ cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 lemons
- drizzle of olive
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- Cook quinoa in rice cooker with 1 cup of water under the white rice setting.
- While the rice is cooking, dice the cucumbers and shallots into small pieces and combine with the cilantro in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper and set it aside to marinate until the quinoa is done cooking.
- Once the quinoa is done, add it to the bowl with all the other ingredients that have been marinating and mix together well. It is ready to be served immediately or can be chilled in the refrigerator.
- You can add a sliced cucumber or chopped cilantro for garnish.