I have to admit that I wasn’t a big Mac & Cheese kid growing up. Whenever we had pasta at home, the only cheese on the table was the parmesan we used to put on top of the gravy. Although, I often put so much cheese, it could easily have been an Italian version of Mac & Cheese. When my friend Kim told me she had an easy vegan mac & cheese recipe made with potatoes that was gluten free, I was definitely intrigued and knew I had to taste this for myself.
To begin making this easy vegan mac & cheese, start by roasting your potatoes in the oven with all the spices and flavors. During this time, cook your gluten free pasta now so that is ready to go. When making gluten pasta, follow the cooking directions on the pasta as each brand is different.
While the potatoes are roasting, start chopping the onions and garlic. Also, chop the peppers and remove the seeds. All these ingredients are going to be used to make our vegan cheese sauce. Sauté the onions and garlic in a pot, then add the peppers, potatoes, non-diary milk, nutritional yeast and vegetable stock. At this point, you can start to smell the sauce for our easy vegan mac & cheese.
Now it’s time to get blending! Take the mixture from the pot and transfer them to a high blender and blend all the ingredients together and the cheese for your easy vegan mac & cheese is done. Finally, combine the cheese and pasta and your easy vegan mac & cheese is ready to enjoy!
Kim is an awesome chef, if you haven’t seen our Butternut Squash Soup video, I suggest you check it out!
- 1 medium Russet potato, cubed and roasted with thyme, light salt and pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper, roasted
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
- ⅓ c white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp vegan butter
- ⅓ c soy or any plant milk
- 1 c nutritional yeast (or more if you want!)
- ⅓ c veggie broth
- Cooked pasta (follow the box's ingredients)
- On medium heat, sauté onions until translucent, 4-5 mins.
- Add bell peppers, garlic and potatoes. Cook for about 5-6 mins.
- Add plant milk, nutritional yeast and veggie stock then cook until simmer.
- For blending: Fill pitcher with all solid ingredients and ⅓ amount of liquid. Blend until very smooth.
- Too thick? Too loose? Adjust consistency with more of the liquid left from the pot gradually.
- Season to taste with more black pepper and salt.
- Mix in with your pasta of choice while your sauce is hot. You can always warm it up on the stove if desired.
- Serve, share and enjoy!